Detailed information on the UNDP’s 6,000+ development projects in 177 countries and territories worldwide.
Support to Participatory Legislative Process
The project aims to assist the Parliament of Mongolia in improving legislating drafting processes.The current procedural weaknesses in policy development and legal drafting have a series of negative implications. The lack of consultations results in limited stakeholder buy-in and poor quality of policies and laws. These shortcomings in turn undermine potential implementation of new policies and legislation. Neglect to develop policy options hamper the political dialogue on reforms and require revisions of laws after initial implementation deficiencies. Limited research and judicial oversight result in potential contradiction with other laws or even the Constitution.
Ensuring the constitutionality of the proposed legislation; assessment of its financial and administrative consequences for the public sector and the business community and its environmental consequences; the clarity of the texts themselves are important aspects of law quality concerns. The Government’s initiative to develop a new law on law-making is an important step in addressing these deficiencies.
To assist the Parliament of Mongolia in improving legislative drafting process through:
- comprehensive study on two decades of institutional developments and constitution implementation in Mongolia;
- consultative policy support for state structuring and improved legislative drafting;
- improved relationship between the citizens and parliament;
- improved UNCAC implementation.
|Year||UNDP||Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation|
- Project start date:
- 13 March 2013
- Project end date:
- 31 December 2016
- Geographic coverage:
- Mainly Ulaanbaatar; aimags and soums for some activities
- Focus area:
- Democratic governance
- Mongolia specific MDG9: Human Rights and Democratic Governance
- Implementing partner:
- Parliament of Mongolia
- Total budget:
- UNDP Focal point:
- Ms. Davaadulam Tsegmed, Governance Team Leader