Detailed information on the UNDP’s 6,000+ development projects in 177 countries and territories worldwide
Capacity Strengthening of Local Self-Governing Bodies
The proposed outcome of the project is to strengthen capacities of local hurals to fulfil their representational and oversight mandates for improved accountability of local governments and local service delivery. The project aims to offer political support, financial incentives and technical assistance for the development of a National Training Programme for local elected representatives and establish appropriate institutional arrangements for delivering the programme.
The project offers a comprehensive package for capacity building through supply-driven induction training for newly elected hural members, complemented by innovative training methodologies such as identification and dissemination of best practices on citizen participation, and the development of tools to support hurals in their oversight functions. Regular monitoring, including institutional and context analysis of power structures at local level, and lessons learned from the project will result in an improved legal framework for local self-governance.
- A National Training Programme for local elected representatives is developed and institutionalized;
- Improved downward accountability of elected representatives through promoting citizen participation in decision making;
- Increased oversight capacity of local hurals;
- Lessons integrated into legal and policy framework for local self-governance.
- Project start date:
- 13 March 2013
- Project end date:
- 31 December 2016
- Focus area:
- Democratic Governance
- Mongolia specific MDG 9: Human Rights and Democratic Governance
- Implementing partner:
- Parliament of Mongolia
- Total budget:
- UNDP Focal point:
- Ms. Davaadulam Tsegmed Governance Team Leader