Detailed information on 6,000+ UNDP development projects in 177 countries and territories worldwide.
Strengthening the Government Capacity of National Development Policy and Planning
The project aims at providing support to the Government of Mongolia to improve its economic policy formulation, strategic planning and monitoring both at the national and local level and guide the preparation of various planning documents to ensure better coordination and harmonization of long-medium and short-term planning in the country. The intended outcome of the project builds Government capacities to meet their objectives by putting in place a stable and robust national development policy and planning framework and promoting fiscal decentralization that will help improving service delivery and effectively manage mining revenue.
The project has two main outputs:
- Government capacity in development policy and planning strengthened;
- Policy analysis and advocacy for evidence-based policy making supported.
What are the project’s goals?
- Capacity for development planning strengthened at national and local levels
- Capacity for formulating and implementing investment plans strengthened at national and local levels
- Capacity for monitoring plan implementation enhanced through an improved monitoring framework and tools
- One National Human Development Report produced and widely disseminated
- MDG Progress Reports prepared and contribution of MDGs reviewed and assessed
- Evidence-based research, analysis and policy dialogues support national and local planning and promote human development
What have we accomplished so far
The key accomplishments since the Project commencement are as follows;
Component 1. Support to Planning, Implementing, Monitoring and Reporting for inclusive and equitable growth:
- The working group was established to revise the “Draft Law on Development Policy and Planning” which was developed in 2012 and a number of forums, meetings and discussions were organized to develop the Draft Law and its Concept by reflecting the consolidated recommendations from the National and Local level stakeholders. The Draft law is under circulation for discussion within Ministry of Economic Development, UNDP and relevant Ministries.The Regional seminars on “Enhancing the Development Planning, Investment and Monitoring & Evaluation” were organized for six Regions and Ulaanbaatar City with over 650 delegates took part in the seminar.
- Four series of trainings were organized on “Use of Macroeconomics Т21 modeling” with engagement of Institutions such as Ministry of Environment and Green Development, Ministry of Mining, Ministry of Energy, Ministry of Road and Transportation, Ministry of Industry and Agriculture, Ministry of Construction and Urban Development, Cabinet Secretariat of Government of Mongolia and National Statistical Office. Under the framework of the project. A “Guidebook to Macroeconomics Т21 modeling” was translated and published.
- Within the framework of improving the data processing of public investment program, the Soum Project was implemented by 28 working groups with participation from the Administrative officials of Ministry of Economic Development, Ministry of Construction and Urban Development, Ministry of Industry and Agriculture, Ministry of Labor in sub-national level and nine working groups in Ulaanbaatar.
Component 2: Support to policy analysis and advocacy for evidence-based Policy making, advancing human development, achieving MDGs, and promoting inclusive equitable growth:
- “The Fifth national progress report was discussed twice and approved by the State Great Khural Subcommittee for Poverty Reduction and Millennium Development Goals. The summary and main reports are published in Mongolian and English languages and the distributed to the State Great Khural, the Government, ministries, international organizations, universities and colleges, the capital city, 21 provinces and 330 soums.Series of Development dialogues was held namely, “Inclusive and equitable growth “, "Harnessing Culture for development in Mongolia", "Development Policy and Planning in Mongolia" Development Dialogue on “Urbanization” was organized on Darkhan-Uul and Orkhon Aimag.
- “Broaden the scope of Regional Statistical Office activities and improve their capacities” Organized data collection for study survey at regional level, engaging specialists/officers responsible for Policy and Planning in 21 provinces, 330 soums, all districts and resident living units of Ulaanbaatar /2242/. Software and database for data processing for Study survey was maintained and completed data processing. As a result of the survey, the capacity of indicators estimated by officially collected statistical data and statistical data produced on demand by provincial policy makers and planning officers were cross-checked and analyzed. The spread of statistical data that is not feasible to be estimated by official data or administrative data and the data spread that is most demanded by provincial planning officers were determined.
Who finances it?
|2013||TRAC, UK Government and UNDP PEI||USD$ 567,876.62|
- Project start date:
- 1 March 2013
- Project end date:
- 1 March 2016
- Geographic coverage:
- Focus area:
- Poverty Reduction and Achievement of MDGs
- MDGs achievement, promotion of HD and poverty reduction by inclusive and equitable economic development , contributing towards poverty alleviation
- Implementing partners:
- Line Ministries, Local government and academia
- Budget :
- USD$ 2,723.000
- UNDP Mongolia focal point:
- Ms. Doljinsuren Jambal, Team leader
- Project Unit:
- Room # 124, Ministry of Economic development, UN street-5/1, Chingeltei District, Ulaanbaatar-15015, Mongolia; Phone: 976-51-261571